Mission

Mission

Thursday, January 22, 2015

A New Take on Chicken Soup


Some babies and toddlers don’t like the taste, texture or process of chewing and swallowing certain foods in the beginning of their food adventures. So while my son was getting used to the texture of meat in his diet, his pediatrician recommended I make him a homemade chicken soup with chicken, water and carrots. I went to the market, purchased organic chicken and made sure every component of the soup was soft enough for a new chewer. My son was less than pleased with this recipe. Though, once he was about 13 months old he started to warm up to meat and I noticed that he enjoyed foods that had a little more spice than I would have expected. He preferred garlic and ethnic spices to bland. This was great news for me since I love to experiment with flavors and spices while cooking. I was also ecstatic that I would now be cooking for the entire family and not just one little member.

This soup was a great addition to my son’s new menu repertoire. Enjoy and be sure to let me know how your little one responds to it.   

serving size: 4 bowl
What you will need:
1 package (about 1.15pd) of boneless, skinless chicken tenders
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups green onions, finely chopped

1 teaspoon minced garlic

3 - 14.5oz cans low sodium chicken broth

1/8 teaspoon cumin

2 avocados, diced

1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped

lime wedges

(you can also add your favorite pasta or grain to this recipe)

Start Cooking:
.                 In a medium skillet brown chicken tenders in 1 tablespoon of olive oil until fully
            cooked. Set chicken aside, wait 5 minutes, then shred.

.                 Add 1 ½  cup chopped green onions and minced garlic to pot; Sauté about 2 minutes.

.                 Add chicken broth, cumin, and salt pepper to pot.

.                 Stir well and bring to a boil.

.                 Cover pot and simmer on low for 15 to 20 minutes.

.                 Add shredded chicken, diced avocado and cilantro, simmer on low for 3-5 minutes

Serve each bowl with a lime wedge to taste.

Courtesy of, http://www.mamamiss.com/2013/03/27/eats-chicken-avocado-soup/. Adapted by, http://mindfulmotherland.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. This recipe looks amazing! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Coaching