Mission

Mission

Friday, March 27, 2015

DIY Home Projects


Your home is a place where you can be the most inspired and express yourself creatively. It is where you find solace and peace of mind through gardening, reading, writing, cooking and creative projects. Whether you live in a 600 square foot apartment in a large city or on a 500-acre farm, home is home. It is where your family laughs, learns and grows together. Beautifying your living space in a way that speaks to you, from small projects to larger ones, can be incredibly relaxing.

Painted Dresser with Design Accent
When deciding on furniture for a kid's room it's better to work with what you already have or purchase an unfinished, basic piece and paint it yourself. This method is cost effective and gives your furniture a custom look. Here is a Gothic Cabinet 4 drawer chest that was in our office before our son was born. Amazon carries a 3-drawer version with knobs, click here. We sanded, primed and painted ours. The paint we used was from Benjamin Moore, Advance Collection, color: Secret/AF-710. The Advance Collection is easy to clean and low in VOC. We also ordered these amazing beveled glue on accents from the company, O’verlays click here. The accents come in white, so you can keep them that way or paint over them for a subtler look.

Handmade Crate Shelf
If you have a small space in your home making a bookshelf out of crates is a great idea. Amazon offers unfinished crates in all sizes click here. Just glue them together with wood glue, prime and paint. For this project I also added stencils using craft paint.

Mini Hot House
 Use any outdoor lantern. The one I used was an old one I had purchased from
 Pottery Barn many years ago, but I found comparable, cheaper options at Amazon.com, click here 
 Succulents are a low maintenance plant to use if you are a busy mom who likes some green around the house. You'll need a few mini terra cotta mini pots, some craft paint, a paint brush, dirt and a few small succulent plants.

Toothbrush Holder
Just add raw rice or risotto to a mason jar and you have a fast, practical use for an item you can find at the dollar up.

Painted Mason Jars
Use pastel colors to paint the insides of mason jars.  

Craft Paper in Mason Jars
For an easy way to update a shelf in your home you can use any wrapping paper or high-end craft paper you would like. Cut the paper into a strip and slide it into a mason jar. Just make sure to paste the pattern side on both front and back of your paper with 2-sided tape before cutting it because you will see into the jars while they are displayed. These patterns are from Kate's Papery.

Mini Terrarium
 This idea is great for a window sill in your home or office. You can even use multiple plants and vary the sizes of the jars you use for a mismatched look. You will need to use a succulent plant for this project since they require watering every 1-2 weeks. Starting from the bottom of your jar, layer 1 inch with stones about the size of peas, then add dirt and plant your succulent plant with a small fork.

14 comments:

  1. I really love the crate shelf, that is amazing! I love repurposed stuff like that. And ANY use of a mason jar is awesome... I would have them all over my house if it wouldn't end up looking totally redundant! Thanks for stopping by my giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily. I have a mason jar obsession as well.

      Delete
  2. I really love all the Mason jar ideas. I have some sitting around just begging to be decorated and reused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great! Glad these projects could inspire you.

      Delete
  3. I love the mason jars. I think I might paint some to make vases to house my spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a lovely idea! Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in love with those beveled accents! Makes the chest look so high quality. I bet the before and after was a huge transformation!

    Also, I am slightly obsessed with gray right now. hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennifer,

    The accents are a great addition to any item you'd like to jazz up. They come in custom sizes too! I find the color gray to be very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love all the mason jar ideas! I have some I almost tossed that I think I'll reuse now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have so many talents. Thank you for sharing all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Patricia,

    That is so kind of you to say. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thea,

    Awesome! The craft possibilities are endless when it comes to mason jars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They weren't all that hard. I'm glad to share these ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Coaching